Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vathakozhambu


On telling the name itself my mouth starts to water. Such a big fan I am when it comes to Vathakozhambu. I have gained a sort of gaga with this dish for the very first reason that it can be cooked within few minutes and does not take much time. This is also my savior most of times and whenever I feel so tired and could not prepare anything, I try this one. So here I go with the recipe
Ingredients:
Oil
Mustard seeds
Fenugreek seeds
Tamarind
salt
Sambhar powder
Vegetables(of ur choice ,I always go with either potato or big onions. At times when I run out of veggies I use either dried turkey berries(Sundakai) or Manathakali vathal)
water
Jaggery
asafetida
curry leaves

Preparation:

1.Take tamarind and add water. Extract thick juice from it.
2.Wash veggies of your choice and slice it to your desired shape.
2.In a wok, add generous amount of oil and wait till it is heated.
3.Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
4.Add fenugreek seeds and wait till it turns golden color.
5.Add veggies/Sundakai/Manathakai vathal and curry leaves at this stage and sauté it for 2 minutes.
6.Add sambhar powder and give it a nice stir.
7.Now add tamarind water and then add required salt.
8.Wait till the raw smell of tamarind goes and the liquid changes to a thick consistency also when the oil leaves the side and floats. This is the required consistency.
9.Add a very small piece of jaggery and stir well until it melts and mixes well with the vathakozhambu .Also add asafetida.
10.Switch the stove off and eat it with steamed rice along with vadams or appalams :)

No comments:

Post a Comment