Saturday, March 2, 2013

How to make maa vadu-Seasonal recipes :)

My mom makes maa vadu during every summer.In addition to maa vadu she also makes vadams and this time she has sent me a big pack with lots of vadams in it :)I always follow my mom’s recipe as she exactly tells me the proportion and obviously the dish comes out well…When I saw fresh maa vadu in Mylapore market I could not control myself and got a  good quantity of it.Phoned my mom for the recipe and immediately made it.Here you go with the recipe.



maa vadu



Ingredients:

 



Fresh maa vadu 3 cups
Salt 1.5 cups or adjust accordingly
Turmeric powder 2 tsp or adjust accordingly
Red chili powder 1.5 cups or adjust accordingly

Method:

1.Wash the maa vadu well and pat it try with a kitchen towel and ensure it does not have any water.

2.Add the maa vadu in a plastic vessel…To this add turmeric powder,salt and red chilli powder and give it a good stir so that everything is mixed well.Close the vessel.

3.For 4to 5 days every morning and in the evening mix the content well so that it does not form any white layered foam which will spoil the recipe.By this time you will see maa vadu floating in the chilli salty water…All because of the added salt.

4.After 5 days replace the contents in a plastic bottle and store it in a refrigerator and start using it once the maa vadu has completely observed the salt and chili powder.

5.Once refrigerated it can hold good for approximately an year.

Notes:

1.I have given the approximate quantity of salt and chill powder because it many vary depending upon the maa vadu.So adjust it accordingly.The more salt and chili powder the maa vadu would look so slurpy and tasty.

2.Initially do not add the maa vadu in ever silver vessel as it may create a hole because of the salt content.I used a plastic vessel.So be careful with the vessel type that you use.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you, missing the shopping in mylapore. I add ground mustard also to this. Happy eating curd rice with yummy mavadus

    ReplyDelete