Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mint Pulao


I did loathe mint leaves a lot...Whenever my mom made mint chutney I would run miles away…I mocked mint chutney as colgate chutney. Just because of me my mom never made any of the mint dishes and poor people at home never had an opportunity to taste it…But my mother-in-law adds lots of mint leaves in VegBriyani and in Pulao. She says mint gives an extra flavor to the dish and also asks me to add it in generous amount. At the start I did hate  mint a lot and many a times I refrained it, but now gradually I have started liking the taste because it is being cooked by my MIL in a different way…The one and only mint recipe that I love the most is "Mint Pulao". I learnt the recipe from my MIL and sharing it here.


Ingredients:

1.Fresh mint leaves
2.Onions
3.Tomatoes(optional,I try to add tomatoes in all my dishes to bring extra tangy effect…you shall omit it and it is optional)
4.Garam masala
5.Green chilies
6.Salt
7.Ginger garlic paste
8.Cinnamon stick
9.Cloves
10.Cumin seeds
11.Cooking oil
12. Rice variety( of your choice)
13.Bay leaves


Preparation:

1.Wash the rice and soak it in water for a while.
2.Chop the onions and let it be fine pieces.
3.Wash mint leaves and make a fine paste using the mixi.
4.Blend tomatoes and make it as fine paste and keep it aside.
5.Make fine paste of green chilies.
6.Heat oil in a wok and once heated add cinnamon stick, bay leaves and cloves.
7.Once you smell the nice aroma add cumin seeds and let the seeds turn to golden color.
8.Add ginger garlic paste(I omit ginger and go only for garlic paste).
9.Allow the paste to fry for a minute.
10.Add the finely chopped onions and wait till it turns golden color.
11.Add tomato puree and chilly paste at this stage.
12.Now add the mint paste to this mixture and stir the mixture. Add required salt and garam masala at this stage and stir it.
13.Wait till the oil leaves the side of the vessel .
14.Drain the water from the rice and add the rice to this paste.
15.Coat the rice with this paste on medium flame for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
16.Transfer this mixture in a pressure cooker and add required water for the pulao.
17.Pressure cook for a whistle or two and switch it off.
18.Serve the mint pulao hot with raitha of your choice.


I love Peas Pulao and Mint Pulao a lot J



No comments:

Post a Comment