Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thattai


Thattai1
Diwali is over yet I have lots and lots of recipes in my draft and wish to post everything.Thattai is one easy recipe if you have all the ingredients ready.Mom makes this savoury item often during festive occasion.When I was in school or college I never had any intention to learn the recipe and was more interested in eating it but after marriage I try to learn all the recipes from my mom.I closely watched my mom while she was making thattais and now I can say I can make it all by my own self :)



Ingredients:




Raw rice flour 5 cups
Urad dal powder 1 tsp
Roasted bengal gram(pottukadalai) 1/2 cup
Red chili powder/Pepper powder As per you savoury level
Asafetida 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves a sprig
Butter/dalda 2 tbsp
Chick peas(split) 1/2 tsp
water to knead
Oil for frying


Method:



1.Soak the raw rice in water for half an hour and dry the water and spread the rice in a clean cloth for half an hour.Grind the rice to a fine powder


2.In a wok add the rice powder and roast it for 2 minutes without changing the color


3.Grind urad dal and roasted bengal gram each separately into  a fine powder.


4.Soak split chick peas in water for 15 minutes and drain water after 15 minutes and keep it ready.


5.In a wide vessel add rice flour,urad dal powder,roasted bengal gram powder,red chili powder,asafetida,butter and curry leaves and add sufficient water to make a dough which is little loose in consistency than chapathi dough.


6.Take a plastic cover and smear oil in it.


7.Squeeze a small ball of lemon size from the dough and put it in plastic paper and  pat it to circular or close to circular shape.

Patties


8.Heat oil in another wok, once heated carefully take the flattened patties in your hand and drop carefully in the oil.Wait till it turns golden colour on both sides.Remove from oil and drain it and serve it or store it in a container.
Thattai


Notes:


1.You can replace pepper powder for chilli powder as I did.


2.I used dalda but I am very sure that butter will make the recipe still more delicious.


3.I didnot use split chick peas.But you shall include it.

4.I have heard people usig sesame seeds as well for thattai but I did not use it.
5.Using groundnut powder a bit enhances the taste well.


1 comment: