Monday, December 24, 2012

Paneer butter masala-Roti side dish recipe

I always never tried things that uses Paneer for the only reason I do not know how to make paneer or related dishes until the D day…The studious me wanted to try things that I have not tried before and all of a sudden I made paneer at home and it was a super flop…I did not use muslin cloth and that was a disaster…From then I understood where my mistake was and tried couple of times and the third time the paneer was just awesome…

The only thing I felt is for 1/2 a liter milk I got only 7 to 8 medium sized cubes :(…I will write a post on making paneer sometime :)I was meaning to try paneer butter masala and naan for quite sometime and yesteday I had the chance of making it…The paneer butter masala that I made tasted divine(at least for me :p") and it tasted like the one we eat at restaurants :)I am so happy and contended with the result.

 

 



Paneer butter masala


Ingredients:


Paneer 15 medium sized cubed pieces
Butter 2tbsp
Tomato 8 medium sized
Onion(not the shallots but the big one) 2 medium sized
garlic 6 flakes with skin peeled
salt as required
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Fresh cream(optional) 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves 1/4 cup
Cashew paste 2 tsp


Method:


1.Peel the skin of the onion and dice it to 4 pieces.Add the onion and tomato(do not cut the tomato but wash it and place it as such) in a wok and add water till it gets immersed…Boil it for 5 to 7 minutes till they are cooked…After that switch off and then drain water and cool it…Remove the skin of the tomato and grind the onion,tomato and garlic to a fine paste.

2.Take another wok add butter,once it gets heated add the ground tomato onion garlic mixture followed by turmeric powder,coriander powder,red chili powder,garam masala,cashew paste and salt…Mix it well so that all the masalas are well blended with the ground paste.

3.Fry panner in butter till it becomes golden color and drain the butter…Add the fried panner to boiling water for 5 minutes and drain it…This ensures panner remains soft..

4.Once the gravy(ground paste) is cooked well add the fried panner and mix well and cook it for 5 minutes till paneer is blended with the masala…Add fresh cream if adding and mix it well…Switch the stove off and decorate it with coriander leaves :)

Notes:

You can also use ghee in place of butter but well we cannot call it as panner butter masala :p Jokes part when you run out of butter you can use ghee in place of it…I do not find any major difference in it :)

I did not use fresh cream or milk…My gravy itself was thick and so I did not use it…

Do not skip cashew paste as it gives a lovely color to the dish and makes the dish more creamy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment