Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pidi Kozhakattai aka Upma kozhakattai,rice dumplings[Breakfast/dinner recipes]

I always love m mom’s arisi upma…she serves it with kathrika gotsu…oh I remember having plates and plates of arisi upma topped with ghee and accompanied by kathrika gotsu…I never knew pidi kozhakattai is a variation of arisi upma…My mom never prepares this and after marriage I have seen my MIL make this dish often…At first I was not a big fan of this but gradually I started to like this dish…My mom and MIL follow the same recipe…I tried it today and it came out well..I made coconut chutney and gonkura as a side dish :)

Ingredients:

Pidi kozhakattai

 

raw rice/pacha arisi 1 cup
channa dal(kadala paruppu) 1 tsp
salt as required
mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
curry leaves a sprig
green chilly/dried red chilly 1 medium sized
asafetida a pinch
oil 2 tsp
water 2.5 cups
grated coconut 1/4 cup


Method:

1.Take raw rice and give it in a rice mil or using your food processor grind it…It should resemble  like sooji/rava.

2.In a heavy bottomed vessel or pressure cooker  add oil and once it is hot add mustard seeds…Let it splutter…

3.Add a pinch of asafetida,chilies chopped curry leaves,channa dal and wait till channa dal turns golden brown..

4.Add water,grated coocnut and salt and wait till the water starts to boil…

5.Once the water starts to boil add the raw rice powder(which resembles sooji) and stir well…If using pressure cooker put the lid and whistle…Switch off the flame after 2 whistle…

6.Once the pressure releases take the mixture from the cooker and spread it in plate…Let it cool completely.

7.Grease your idli plate with oil and also grease your hands…

8.Take some mixture in your hand and form a round or cylinder shape out of it…Put it in idli steamer and steam it for 15 minutes.

9.Serve it with any chutney…

 

Notes:

Instead of pressure cooker you can cook in any heavy bottomed vessel…You can simmer and cook the mixture in vessel itself.

You can add veggies too the choice is yours…

No comments:

Post a Comment